2. Choosing group tutoring over 1-on-1. The benefits of 1 on 1 instruction for a private tutoring session are well-documented. In a 1-on-1 setting, students have the constant attention of the tutor so that they can listen and speak with much more ease than in a group situation. Each student’s strengths and challenges are addressed individually and fully at their own pace, without the distraction of other students. With a permanent, 1-on-1 student-tutor match an important rapport will also develop, creating a positive, encouraging, and stable atmosphere for learning. At KTL we offer one-on-one indivualised tutoring so your child’s needs are met rather than someone else’s child. We have been in business ten years and as a trained teacher, tertiary lecturer and educational psychologist I guide the tutors to work to your child’s best advantage.
3. Assuming your child’s tutor will be great. Experience tells us they simply are not all great. At KTL Tuition all tutors are interviewed, screened, trained and regularly observed taking tutoring sessions. We encourage parents to come along and speak with the tutor at the sessions and any questions are answered immediately.
4. Assuming that because the tutor has academic knowledge that is it all it takes to be a successful tutor. There are tutors who are excellent at a certain subject matter but may not have the ability to teach it. Hence, hiring a math genius is not a sure fire way of boosting your child’s results in algebra. She or he may understand the theory but is that particular math genius capable of breaking down a complicated theory so that a child can understand it and even excel on the subject? KTL Tuition tutors have great personalities, provide positive reinforcement and make a genuine connection to make sure there is ‘buy in’ for the students.
5. Assuming that your child will make massive improvements in their academic outcomes. Increases in achievement come from confidence and clarity. Learning is not passive – there is a strong connection between student engagement and results which is why at KTL Tuition we welcome your comments about our tutoring dyads, and we do our very best to ensure we have the best possible tutor match for your child. Our purpose-built room is warm and welcoming and we encourage the students to feel at home. At the start of each term we set new goals with each student.
6. Wanting the tutor to come to your home: Yes, this works for families but restricting yourself to only home-based tutoring decreases your choice of finding ‘that right tutor’ for your child. KTL Tuition provides on site tutoring in centrally based Morningside handy to trains and buses. Some of our students have attended for seven years or more-
7. Using a service or individual with only limited subjects or levels. Today your child needs help with Maths and other days it may be Science. Selecting an individual or service which only offers limited subjects or levels means the search will begin anew each time your child’s needs change. By selecting a service like KTL Tuition that offers many, varied subjects and instruction at all levels, parents can save time and headaches.
8. Selecting a service with limited hours. Our busy lifestyles mean that tutoring often must be sandwiched in between other activities including sports practices and games, extra-curricular commitments, and work schedules. For maximum effectiveness KTL Tuition is open for tutoring 7 days a week.
Choosing a tuition provider for your child is a big decision. If you're not sure whether KTL Tuition is right for your family, book a free consultation. You will meet with KTL Tuition Founder and Educational Psychologist Marie Kelly for a 30 minute review of your child's academic performance.
⇣ Drag elements to your Custom Footer Container ⇣
Address: 642 New North Road, Morningside, Auckland, 1022, New Zealand
Phone: +64 09 8494 232 / 0212950089